God has impressed on Pastor Whitney to declare 2018 as the year of going beyond. But to go beyond this year requires us to first lay down the proper foundation by fasting and praying for our cities. This requires us to put the needs of others before our own. You see to be first you must be last, to go up you must go down, to lead you must serve, to win you must lose, and to increase you must decrease. All of this is contrary to our nature but that’s how you know its God because your flesh will never want to do anything that requires sacrifice. Your flesh and the enemy will try to derail you from this 21 day fast, but an exceptional life altering 2018 awaits those who stay steadfast. Let us begin by urgently and intentionally praying for God’s will and protection over ourselves and loved ones so can we stand firm against Satan’s plans (Ephesians 6:10-18 putting on the full armor of God) and see the kingdom of God go beyond in 2018.
The Bible is clear in 1 Timothy 2:1-7 that believers ought to pray for all people, including those who are elected officials and in high positions. Our city of West Palm Beach has been catapulted into the world stage and is quickly becoming is a melting pot of “all people” and people who are in high positions ranging from the executive branch personal, to media outlets to CEO’s.
Here are 7 reasons why we should fast and pray.
- So we do not shipwreck our faith (1 Timothy 1:18-20)
- Because the Bible says to do it (1 Timothy 2:1-2a)
- Because God works his will through people in high positions and their decisions create the conditions under which the church will find themselves sharing the gospel. (1 Timothy 2:2b)
- Because this pleases God (1 Timothy 2:3)
- Because God desires that all people be saved and come to the knowledge of truth (1 Timothy 2:4)
- Because everyone in our city is in need of a mediator, Christ Jesus (1 Timothy 2:5)
- Because the church has been appointed to preach the gospel to all the Gentiles (1 Timothy 2:7)
Below is a guide to help you on this 21 day of fasting for your city as well as how you can begin to fast. Each day has a special focus and seeks to pray for different things. Download this guide print it out and tape it somewhere where you will see it every day whether on your refrigerator door, your car dashboard, or your bathroom mirror. The point is we ought to be faithfully and fervently praying for all in our city because God desires that all people be saved.